Tuesday, April 22, 2014

NIRSA 2014 - Nashville day 1

Nashville,  here I come! You can bet my cowboy boots are packed and ready to go!  I am attending NIRSA for the very first time this year and am so excited that I was given this great opportunity.  NIRSA is the organization that oversees collegiate recreation and educates those involved in collegiate rec about health, wellness, fitness, and recreation. 

Ellen and I stepped off the plane, grabbed our luggage and actually waited in line for a taxi! We met two girls from UNL in Lincoln and shared a cab to the hotel.  It didnt take long for the four of us to get to laughing and jammin' with our country music lovin' cab driver.  Is everyone who lives in Nashville required to listen to country music?

The hotel is the most incredible hotel I've ever been to.  It reminds me of Mall of America.  It also took me 15 minutes to walk to my hotel room, I asked a few people along the way who reasured me and said "just keep walking".  Finally,  a maintenance man saw me and must have noticed how lost I looked and helped me out.  Private balcony, indoor palm trees, flowers,  multiple restaurants,  it has everything and is gorgeous, photos to come tomorrow.   

Since the BVU recreation services department made this trip possible, it isn't exactly an MSW focused trip.  However, everything I learn here and the connections I will make will benefit me in any future projects with MSW. The values of MSW and focus on health and wellness marketing really fit well with what NIRSA is all about.  So much of this information will come in very handy as I am finishing up my advanced HR management research project about corporate health and wellness programs. 

Tomorrow, I will be attending a pre conference workshop called "Advocates for Wellbeing: The Role of Higher Education for a Healthier Nation".  Here's a quick summary of the workshop.

"As the health of our nation declines, institutions of higher learning are beginning to seriously address the issues related to America's health and make a commitment to educating our future generations. This preconference will explore best practices that embrace collaborative learning within health and wellbeing. It will explore creative and collaborative programs that enhance health behavior and outcomes on campus and within the surrounding communities."

So excited!  Tomorrow will be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment