Monday, January 27, 2014

Missing Links

After pondering this for quite a while I realized that I was extremely prepared for this internship.  There weren't any major links that I noticed I was lacking and could have used more experience in.

I have realized how extremely important it is to be involved in general.  Almost every single professional that I came in contact with was balancing a handful of completely different things at once.  Multiple different committees, organizations, side jobs, and having families at home.  It is so important to be able to find a way to be organized.  Being organized and keeping all of my tasks straight is something that I have learned through the classroom.

One thing that could be improved in the classroom, surprisingly, involves technology.  I think sometimes this piece isn't emphasized enough because educators thing that our generation knows everything about technology.  It would have been nice to have experience with sitting in on a conference call and the etiquette that goes along with sitting in on meetings from a distance.

Communication is another big aspect that many organizations struggle with.  Teaching students the when and why to communicate and which medium to use would be helpful and interesting.

Advice I would give others in order to make the transition easier is to get involved with a variety of organizations and have different jobs outside of school.  Much of my experience at summer jobs and part time jobs helped me perform well at this internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment