Thursday, January 23, 2014

...from a career standpoint

As my last day here in Des Moines quickly approaches I wanted to make a list of what I have learned from a career perspective in the last three weeks. 

-The people you work with make all the difference.  I have been lucky to work with people who are excited to be at work and always have a smile on their face, willing to help out.  They all say good morning to each other and gather in the kitchen around noon to eat lunch and chat for a while.  My experience wouldn't have been nearly as awesome without having such a good relationship with my co-workers.

-Having a boss that cares and thanks his employees daily.  Mike Ralston is awesome at keeping everyone motivated towards the same goal and making everyone feel included.  It's not abnormal for him to make a lap around the office just to see how everyone is doing.  When I got to ABI he made me feel like part of the team and it was much appreciated.

-I'm not sure how career-related this is, but.....most people bring their own lunches everyday, and most of them eat at their desk.  Try to find something to do to get you out of the office or you might go crazy being there for 9 hours!

-Emails and calling into meetings keep everyone organized.  Kay and I were constantly copying or forwarding each other emails, especially when it came down to event planning details.  Get used to that little ding sound on your computer almost constantly. 

-Hospitality and event planning is something that I really enjoy.  Getting to pull together a big event without anyone seeing all the chaos that went on behind the scenes is really fun and energizing.  I enjoy keeping everything organized and writing it out in spreadsheets or documents.

-One of my ultimate life goals is to be able to work for myself, from home.  As much fun as I had being in an office, commuting isn't my favorite thing ever and I work more efficiently when I have more freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment