Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Humvee rollover, convoy gunman, & helicopter mission

Today has been so awesome!  It's only 1:00 in the afternoon and I've already been flipped upside down in a humvee, killed the enemy with a sniper rifle, learned the steps field medics use to treat a wounded soldier in battle,  and had the opportunity to fly over Des Moines in a helicopter.  

The humvee rollover simulation was very realistic and I was totally not ready for it.   We suited up in about 30 pounds of gear and loaded into the vehicle.  I ended up in the drivers seat, which was the most difficult position to get out of in the case of most rollovers.  Oh well, I like a challenge,  no problem, right?!  ya they weren't kidding! We rolled over three times before coming to a stop on our roof.  So here I am hanging upside down from my seatbelt with this awkward gear on and a helmet halfway covering my eyes, plus when I released my seatbelt I managed to get stuck underneath the steering wheel, like by the gas and brake pedals. Don't ask me how.

Three of the doors were jammed closed (locked) so I had to climb  to the back seat and across to the opposite side to get out.  It was such a challenge and an adrenaline  rush at the same time but ut made me think about what our soldiers go through.  

I tested my accuracy in the rifle range simulator and decided that I need a lot more practice.  Laying in the prone position we had to load our rifles and then watch this huge screen so the enemies couldn't sneak up on us.  The first round I took 74 shots and hit 8, not bad for the first time but not great either. 

I learned that the furthest confirmed kill with a 5 caliber is a distance of 1.7 miles!   The rifle range simulator room can be used for practicing a wide variety of hang guns, rifles, and canons.  Videogames can serve some logical purpose and provide job training!

I was so happy to wake up to a cold but calm morning.   I was going to be so bummed out if we didn't get to ride in the blackhawk.  It was everything I expected it to be and more and the view of the river and downtown was so cool!

I was so impressed by how well organized and informative our session at Camp Dodge was this morning and I know we got the opportunity to experience things that many people besides those in the military don't get to.  We each left with an MRE as a gift.. I'll tell my aunt Diane I'm making supper tonight and she has the choice of maple flavored pork sausages or asian beef strips.  Friday I'll be back at Camp Dodge for another session learning about the history. 

I'm currently loving the warm atmosphere and pretty flowers inside the botanical center as we go through a congressional election simulation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment